So I have been quite domesticated lately by my friend Kamy and therefore been doing a lot of bottling. As a consequence, my house is a mess, no clean laundry and my kids have probably watched way too much TV! So, I have done applesauce, grape juice, more applesauce and earlier in the season was peaches.
It makes me feel really good that I am doing it for food storage, but everything else gets left behind and I am wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just buy it at the store and have a lot more time for the kids and the house???? What do you think?
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That totally depends on you. I've decided that buying the cheap off-brand saran wrap is NOT worth it because you just end up cursing the entire roll while you're trying to get it to do what it's supposed to. If you eat the stuff you can, and can't get it at the store, it's probably worth it. There's always that obedience thing that you're getting credit for....
You're doing a good job canning it. I have only ever done jam, but it was TOTALLY worth it for the taste factor, and knowing you're being obedient having food storage/growing/canning what you're able to. As your kids get bigger, they can help and the TV/movies won't hurt them in the long run. Good for you for canning!
I think you're ahead of the game!! What would you do if you can't go to the store , you have the food on hand but don't know how to store it?? In the process of learning, there are a few things that get put to the side but in the long run, you're way ahead of the rest of the world! And the home bottled stuff tastes so much better than the preservative-filled store food anyway!
I do the canning thing too, but often I end up having Todd pick up pizza on the way home because the kitchen is a disaster. It occured to me this year that I could have taken the money from the pizza and bought quite a lot of the pickles I was doing! :) Oh well, at least I'm building up the skills, and hey, I do get some satisfaction out of seeing those rows of my bottles!
Mike's two cents is this: pears and jam are worth whatever you need to do to get them.
I think it is great that you are doing it. I have never canned. I always blame it on the fact that I don't have the special pot to do it...but really I am terrified that I'll screw up and my kids will get botulism from the jars not being sealed correctly...we learned all about it in one of my health classes at BYU. I always tell Drew I'll do it if someone holds my hand through the whole process...he hasn't volunteered!
Post a Comment