Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rice Krispy Treats (or however you want to spell it)


I am in love with Rice Krispy Treats--not the yucky from-the-store kind, it has to be homemade. Whenever anybody asks what my favorite dessert or baked (non-baked) good is, it's always the same. I mean aren't they practically good for you?? No fat in the marshmallows and a non-sugared rice cereal as the cruchy-goodness base--you can't go wrong!

I would have to say I enjoy the classic recipe the best, but I have been known to mix it up a little. Whether just for fun or lack of ingredients at the time. A few, but not all, of my variations are M&Ms on top, Rice Chex (smashed) instead of Rice Krispies, choc. chips in the marshmallows, Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Crispies, etc. So, today I was thinking out loud about which treats do I make for my Activity Day girls night. Of course I landed on the favorite and I said out loud "well since I don't have enough marshmallows, maybe this time I will make the peanut butter-chocolate kind" and Matthew says:


"Wow, you are the most creative Rice Krispy Treats maker I have ever met!"


I will take the compliments wherever I can get them!

5 comments:

The Harpers said...

I have to agree with Matthew. I've had your creative Rice Crispies and they are very addicting!

Anonymous said...

I remember you making RCT back in the day. What I really miss though is the puppie chow... is that what its called... with the chex and chocolate and powdered sugar. Mmmmm. If you ever want to make me a batch and send it in the mail let me know and I'll get you my address.

Melissa H said...

Yeah, it's called Puppy Chow and I am not sure the chocolate would hold up in the heat, besides I could just give you the recipe and you could probably make it for cheaper! (Or I could bribe you with it like you did Beth, just to get her to come visit us!!)

Nikki said...

Sounds yummy! Would you mind sharing your recipe for peanut butter- chocolate krispy treats?

Melissa H said...

Well, they don't use marshmallows so I don't know if they are technically Rice Krispy Treats, but here it is:

1 cup Karo Syrup (clear stuff)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
5 1/2 cups rice crispies
1 bag (2 cups) MILK choc. chips

Heat sugar and Karo syrup in medium/large pan until just boiling. Remove from heat.

Add peanut butter to pan.

Pour Rice Krispies in pan and mix until coated well. Put in 9X13 pan (I never grease it, but you may) and pack tight. Right away pour choc. chips on top and they wil melt themselves. Spread when melted (approx. 15 min.). Cool in refrigerator or freezer, depending on how long you can wait! Cut and enjoy.

P.S. I have been trying to figure out if I know you--do I?